With GlobeDocs, The Boston Globe furthers its reach as an organization dedicated to shedding light on the truth by presenting the work of filmmakers near and far who are also focused on telling important stories, large and small.
GlobeDocs holds free monthly screenings leading up to the annual festival. The annual GlobeDocs Film Festival is a six-day documentary festival designed to engage, promote, and celebrate film and production talent. The festival, which takes place in select theaters across Boston and Cambridge, is specifically curated to include a lively, hosted post-film conversation with Boston Globe journalists to turn screenings into an opportunity for the community to come together and have an open dialogue.
The fifth annual festival will take place on October 2 to 6, 2019 at the Brattle Theatre, Coolidge Corner Theatre and Showplace ICON. Please click on the Festival pages for more information about films and schedule.
FILM FESTIVAL AWARDS
Each year film goers at the annual GlobeDocs Film Festival have the opportunity to vote for an Audience Award which is awarded to one feature film and one short film. Past winners include:
- Winner for Best Film: THE FEELING OF BEING WATCHED—directed by Assia Boundaoui
- Winner Best Short Film: TARIQ’S CUBE—directed by Amina Chaudary
- Winner for Best Film: UNREST—Directed by Jennifer Brea
- Winner for Best Short Film: RUNNIN’—Directed by Alex Hogan & Matthew Orr
- Winner for Best Film: THEO WHO LIVED—Directed by David Schisgall
- Winner for Best Film: THE STATE OF MARRIAGE—Directed by Jeff Kaufman
- Winner for Best Short Film: SILENCED IN SOUTHIE—Directed by Evan Dolan
The Boston Globe Filmmakers Fund Award
The Boston Globe Filmmakers Fund Award, established in 2014, supports visionary filmmakers with an annual grant while furthering Boston’s role as an epicenter of documentary film. Contributions to the fund have been donated by patrons of GlobeDocs throughout the year. Thank you to our many supporters.
Past Filmmaker Fund Award recipients: David Abel, Director, LOBSTER WARS (2018), Sue Williams, Director, DEATH BY DESIGN (2016), Laura Poitras, Director, CITIZENFOUR, co-creator of Field of Vision (2015).
To donate to the Fund please click here.
PRESS ABOUT GLOBEDOCS
- Press Release, September 20, 2018
- Lobster War, October 4, 2018
- Arts Fuse, October 9, 2018
- Gloucester Times, October 9, 2018
- Metro Boston, October 10, 2018
- Boston.com, October 11, 2018
- The Boston Globe, October 11, 2018
- Patch.com, October 12, 2018
- The Berkeley Beacon, October 25, 2018
- Press Release, August 30, 2017
- The Boston Globe, August 30, 2017
- Nonfics, August 31, 2017
- filmfestivals.com/Docs on the Spot, August 31, 2017
- Indiewire, August 31, 2017
- The Boston Globe, September 1, 2017